Working Smoke Detectors Alert Occupants of Fire in Kingsport

lawndale2This morning, around 09:16AM, Kingsport Firefighters (C-Shift) were alerted of a possible structure fire on the 900 block of Lawndale Circle. Upon arrival, units found smoke showing from the structure. The brothers and sisters of KFD made an aggressive attack and were able to get the fire quickly under control. Firefighters completed overhaul and removed smoke from the residence.

The Kingsport Fire Marshall’s Officer conducted the investigation and interviews following the incident. It was discovered that the fire originated in the basement of the structure when a heater turned on due to the low temperatures. As the heater started, the fire was started due to items being stored too close to the heater. The occupants also stated that they were alerted by working smoke detectors before exiting the residence. Due to the smoke detectors, everyone was able to exit from the house safely prior to the Kingsport Fire Department responding.

 

Kingsport Fire Public Information Officer Barry Brickey stated that:

The old coil type wall heaters have an automatic thermostat that may turn on the heater even if the dial is on low, if your home is equipped with wall heaters or any other type of heating equipment follow these heating safety tips.

Heating Safety:

  • Heating equipment is a leading cause of home fire deaths. Almost half of home heating equipment fires are reported during the months of December, January, and February. Some simple steps can prevent most heating-related fires from happening.
  • Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
  • Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.
  • Never use your oven to heat your home.
  • Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer’s instructions.
  • Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
  • Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
  • Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
  • Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
  • Test smoke alarms monthly.
  • Equip your home with Home Fire Sprinklers.

Source: https://www.nfpa.org/safety-information/for-consumers/causes/heating/heating-safety-tips